Sunday, January 4, 2009

Batman Cacophony #2

Well, after the disaster of issue #1 of this series, I was not expecting much going into issue #2. But, I tried to put my qualms with the first issue behind me and look at this new material objectively.

I don't know if it was Walter Flanagan's laughably bad drawing of Batman or if it was Kevin Smith's equally laughable (but also raunchy) depiction of the Joker... but whatever it was, I was done with it after the first panel of page 8 (Batman kicks the Joker between the legs and the Joker has the line, "Oooohhh... the twins didn't like that..."). I finished reading the comic, but I don't know why. This is issue #2 of 3 and there is no way I'm going to waste any more money just to collect the last issue or see how the story ends up. Yes, it was that bad.

Stay away. Very far away. This is poorly written and drawn even worse. I love Batman. I can usually even enjoy the bad Batman stories simply because they are Batman, but this is worse. I didn't want to write a review based on the first issue alone, so I waited until after this issue. Well, it didn't get better, it got worse.

I don't like giving negative reviews. Usually, if I don't like an issue, I just won't review it, but this deserved a post. The best thing about this issue is the Adam Kubert cover. If Kubert were doing the interior art, this book might be worth buying just for that. I would love to see him drawing a Batman book... but he's not.

Okay, I need to stop. Anyone else already read this? Am I off my rocker for hating it so badly? Is there something I'm missing?

Kevin Smith should stick to doing movies and stay out of comics.

No comments: