Saturday, January 3, 2009

Incognito #1

Wow! Two Icon/Marvel titles the same week - and both of them stellar issues!

I first became familiar with Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips with their book Sleeper. Then, I started reading Criminal. I really enjoy Criminal and Sleeper was great, so naturally, when I saw a new series by the same creative team, my ears perked.

Incognito is a story about an ex-super-villain who is now in some sort of witness protection program and his struggle to stay content living a normal life. He works as a file clerk, hates his job, can't make friends, his parole officer is being replaced by a new guy who is a real jerk...

We learn a little about his past in flashbacks that fit surprisingly well in the story. The timeline of the story jumps around a lot, but I never felt confused or thought the flashbacks were out of place. It worked very well in the story. This was a great first issue of introduction. I can't wait to see what Brubaker does with this character in this world. I'm sold.

This is another Icon published title due to the content, so just know that going into it. If you have read Criminal, you know what to expect ;-)

No comments: