Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Amazing Spider-Man #580

Well, coming right after a perfectly executed Mark Waid 2-part Spider-Man arc, this issue was destined to be not as good. New creative team I'm not familiar with (Roger Stern & Lee Weeks), single issue "story arc" (can it be a story arc if there is only 1 issue?), and only 6 days since I read that awesome story... my spidey senses were telling me to not have my hopes up too high.

All that said, this issue was great! It was another fun-filled Spider-Man story with suspense, a little mystery, and plenty of heroics. How they pulled off all that (and did it well) in 22 pages is beyond me.

In this story we meet The Blank, a man who is completely gray and has some kind of teflon type suit or force-field around him that makes Spidey's web not stick and bullets bounce off. He makes the mistake of endangering Aunt May and Spider-Man is on a mission to take him out.

I enjoyed the art in this book, it has a very nice look to it. It wasn't perfect though. Spider-Man looked great in every panel, but it felt a little like stop-motion instead of being fluid. I don't know if it was panel progression or the way action was drawn, but I wasn't completely sold on the action sequences. Good, but not great.

The story was great - another fun Spider-Man issue. Recommended for all ages.

No comments: