Thursday, December 4, 2008

Marvels: Eye of the Camera #1

Okay, brief background on this one. Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross did Marvels back in the mid-90's. If you have not read Marvels, go to your nearest comic book shop or online and buy it! It is a must read. It is the story of Phil Sheldon, a photographer in New York. The story is about him and him viewing the Marvel universe of characters. The original series, now in trade paperback and hardcover, is one of the best comics ever made. Because of this, I was skeptical of this new Marvels story. I was also skeptical because Alex Ross is not on the project. What Ross and Busiek did with Marvels was incredible and it would be very hard for something to live up to that legacy.

Well, this issue is a really good start! Most of this issue is a recap of Phil Sheldon and setting up the story. There are a couple major plot elements near the end and I won't spoil those, because I am recommending this comic as a must buy. Jay Anacleto is doing the art and I must say, I was very impressed. I am a big Alex Ross fan and I was very disappointed to hear that he wasn't doing the art. I was even more disappointed when I heard Jay Anacleto was doing the art. The name meant nothing to me. I have no idea what else he has done. But after reading this issue, I'll be looking to see what else he has done. His art was amazing. It rivaled Ross' art from the original series.

Kurt Busiek is a wonderful story-teller and this issue does not fall short there either. It is masterfully told and very enjoyable. Now, I am already invested in Sheldon from the first series, so a lot of that carries over. But, I would imagine most people reading this have read the first. Highly recommended! This is also a comic for all ages. I eagerly await the next issue!

No comments: